Hi, my name’s Darin Olien and I’m known around here as Shakeology’s Ingredient Hunter.
When I first started developing Shakeology I began to ask myself a series of questions, which would ultimately determine what does, or does not, go into Shakeology.
- What do most bodies require in this day and age?
- What’s not being delivered in food today (even in high-quality, organic food)?
- Where are the gaps in nutrition that need to be filled for the majority of people?
- What’s wrong with the food we currently eat? And why do we even need a shake with that much nutrition anyway?
From those questions I was able to determine what ingredients needed to go into Shakeology, and why.
The hardcore reality is that our food supply today lacks nutrients. The nutrient density of our food has continued to plummet over the years due to the fact that the value of money has completely trumped the value of quality. Unhealthy food = unhealthy people. It’s an insane thought, but absolutely true! The facts are well documented.
For starters, because farm production has been pushed beyond its natural limits, soil’s nutrients have been depleted! Crops of nonnutritive foods have replaced nutrition-dense foods, and pesticides and genetic modification are wreaking havoc with the chemical and genetic markers that have evolved over the centuries. That means we’re putting more food into the pipeline that has LESS of what we need, and MORE of what we don’t need. On a biological level, our bodies hardly recognize the food we are swallowing.
Since those are the ugly facts, you really need to ask yourself: “How do I expect my body to live tirelessly, vibrantly, and with the power to defend itself from disease if my body is running on watered-down fuel?” It’s like putting dirty gas into the tank of a Ferrari. What a waste of such a beautiful sports car!
If you really want your health to improve, you need to be completely aware of what you’re eating and drinking and how it’s fueling (or NOT fueling) your body. And only then can you make different choices. Smarter choices. Healthier choices.
So when it came to developing Shakeology, my goal was to create something that not only tasted incredibly delicious, it would nourish the body inside and out. Beyond the instant gratification of something tasting good on your tongue, I believe that everybody truly desires to be fed more nutrition. To have more energy. To feel healthy and fit. To have their digestion running like clockwork. To feel amazing—day in and day out!
The result—a supercharged, multivitamin- and protein-rich health smoothie called Shakeology. As important as the ingredients in Shakeology are, what drove their inclusion was the body’s need for five vital ingredients.
These 5 vital ingredients are the cornerstones of Shakeology’s creation:
1. Whole foods – So many supplements on the market are just fragmentations of the complete matrix of real food. Think of it like taking the most popular scene from a 2-hour movie and calling THAT the movie. It’s incomplete without the character development, plot, and nuance that make it a holistic experience. The same goes with food. On a biological level, your body needs the whole “movie” to get the complete benefit of the vitamin or mineral that is the star.
You just cannot replace or re-engineer the incredible balance and creation of whole foods. That’s why we selected high-quality, potent foods, herbs, grasses, and ingredients, and then processed them minimally to preserve their integrity, phytochemicals, natural vitamins, minerals, alkaloids, phytosterols, etc. This was a huge aspect of Shakeology getting the whole, deliverable nutrition in bioavailable ways.
2. Vitamins and minerals – We included quality nutrition from potent and varying whole-food sources (“nutrition, right off the vine” as I like to call it). And then we backed that up by adding in a well-balanced vitamin and mineral profile since whole foods fluctuate from crop to crop.
3. Enzymes – Enzymes are critical for optimal health. But since enzymes flood the food only in the last days of ripening before harvest, enzyme supplementation is critical for the majority of people. Even if you eat all raw foods, the enzymes are still low. And cooked food has zero active enzymes.
Why enzymes? Enzymes have been called “the Fountain of Life”! They are behind every single process in the body! Yes, everything requires enzymes! The labor force of the body that digests, absorbs, allows for signals to be sent, creates new blood cells, etc., is all governed by enzymes. You would be shocked at how starved your body has been for enzyme support. That’s why the addition of these vital forces to Shakeology was so critical!
4. Prebiotics and Probiotics – We’ve all heard about foods with additive probiotics, like yogurt for instance. Did you know that your body can actually manifest its own probiotics if you feed it prebiotics? With the way people eat today they have created a thriving environment for unhealthy bacteria in the body. The prebiotics of the amazing yacon root (which I will get into in future posts) is food for the “healthy” bacteria, and in turn creates an environment for healthy probiotics to flourish.
By getting our internal “ecosystem” in balance, you have the potential for a vibrant, thriving body and life! It’s complex, and even difficult to fathom an ecosystem inside your own body, but it cannot be underestimated. You need prebiotics to help you foster probiotics!
5. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) – MSM is a naturally occurring sulfur compound found in fresh, raw fruits and vegetables, milk, fish, and grains. But within hours of harvest, MSM changes and is virtually gone—which is why it’s very difficult to get MSM naturally. Back in the “ancient days” man pretty much ate what he picked immediately. But today, it’s picked, processed, packaged, and palleted for months before it hits the table. Which means, by the time food gets to you, MSM is loooooooong gone.
But why is MSM important? MSM is critical to the connective tissue and the fluidity (or space) between cells! MSM gives them “room to breathe.” When the body becomes very rigid, tight, painful, and stiff, oftentimes MSM is at very low quantities in the body. Since we are not eating our own foods immediately after harvesting, we MUST supplement this vital component, or the body has a hard time staying healthy and flexible on a cellular level, which translates throughout the body on a biomechanical level.
So there you have it, the top 5 reasons why we included what’s in Shakeology.
Your body can’t run on empty. It just simply CAN’T! And since food is its fuel, we created an incredibly nutritious and delicious shake that truly does fuel your body with what it really wants, needs, and requires. So let’s raise our blenders and toast to a much healthier and happier you!